Life Coaching for Teens, a workbook covering three crucial areas vital for Latino teen success, was inspired when I witnessed first hand the need for mentoring and life coaching among a fast growing Hispanic population in the Las Vegas community.
First and foremost, teens need to build a healthy self image, which builds confidence.
1. Building Confidence
The first section introduces students to foundational principles and concepts of identity, significance and life purpose. These areas are critical for helping students know “who” they are, and “why” they exist. A person’s “self-worth” is tied to their identity. Without a clear identity, life purpose is much more difficult to comprehend.
2. Developing Character
The middle section introduces students to the Top 12 Virtues for Teens, which are crucial for building character. These virtues are:
1. Love: Overlooking the faults of others and building influence
2. Honesty: The ultimate character test
3. Purity: Staying “green” in a polluted world
4. Discipline: Staying on task – achieving your goals
5. Money Management: Mastering money so it doesn’t master you
6. Generosity: The sign of a satisfied heart
7. Courage: Standing strong in the midst of fear and doubt
8. Perseverance: Refusing to quit – Expecting to win!
9. Introspection: Finding self through silence and solitude
10. Wisdom: Navigating successfully through life and social situations
11. Foresight: Perceiving and interpreting the immediate future for sound decision-making
12. Magnanimity: The King of all virtues: self-mastery
3. Living Courageously
The final section encourages students’ to discover their innate gifts, and their passion. Finding one’s innate gifts are easy, there are many online tests to measure your temperaments and personal gifts. Passion is much more difficult to pinpoint but when someone finds it, they are naturally empowered. The section takes students through a series of questions that probe and pinpoint their passion. Once passion is discovered, a teen can then formulate a 5-year life plan to help them move forward courageously. Courage, therefore, plays a critical role at this point. Cultivating and expressing courage throughout life is necessary to achieve great results and become a lifetime winner.
What do you think, are these virtues relevant for today’s youth? (Post your thoughts below)
(The Top 12 Virtues for Teens, copyright (2009) Latino Townhall – all rights reserved)